Advances in identifying biomarker profiles in patients with early-stage breast cancer have improved 5-year curative rates. Identification of the HER2 receptor provides valuable information that has been shown to extend survival in adjuvant and metastatic settings. Current clinical guidelines discuss when confirmatory testing may be inappropriate. Using a quality improvement approach, the team at Duke Cancer Institute determined HER2 ordering practices in a large academic cancer center. HER2 ordering using immunohistochemistry (IHC) and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) was abstracted from the charts of 314 patients with early-stage breast cancer. Qualitative responses to current clinical practices were obtained from clinicians. Of the patients included, duplicate IHC was performed for 36% and in triplicate for 6%; repeat testing resulted in clinically significant change in HER2 status for approximately 20%. Repeat biomarker testing on metastatic biopsy sites “all of the time” was favored by the surveyed physicians. FISH was ordered for each grade of IHC: 0+ (>20% of cases), 1+ (>20%), 2+ (99%), 3+ (54%). Most physicians “strongly” or “somewhat” favored solutions that integrate order sets and care pathways into the electronic medical record. This quality improvement project identified root causes and solutions to practice variance in breast cancer biomarker ordering and interpretation. Further investigations are planned to standardize best practices while appreciating the clinical challenges posed by discordant test results.
Arif H. Kamal, Steve Power, Gloria Broadwater, Audrey R. Holland, and Paul K. Marcom
Arif Kamal, Tian Zhang, Steve Power, and P. Kelly Marcom
Background: The American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation's Choosing Wisely initiative aims to reduce unnecessary advanced imaging for early-stage breast cancer (ESBC). Additionally, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology for Breast Cancer permit such images when oncologists perceive clinical clues of advanced disease. The utility of advanced imaging in ESBC is not known. Patients and Methods: We analyzed all patients with ESBC from January 2010 to June 2012 at a large tertiary cancer center. Early-stage was defined as stage IIb or less. We included advanced imaging within 60 days after diagnosis. Three independent reviewers manually abstracted a sample of charts to determine reason for ordering. Results: A total of 1,143 ESBC cases were identified; 21.8% of which had at least one advanced imaging procedure performed. Imaging modalities varied widely (38% CT, 21% PET, 34% bone scans, and 6% MRI). Patients who underwent advanced imaging were more likely to have triple-negative disease, be younger (age <50 years), and have higher stage disease (stage IIb vs ≤ stage IIa; all P<.001). A total of 100 cases (40%) were abstracted; 5 were excluded due to bilateral disease. Of the 95 cases remaining, 62% of the imaging studies were performed for staging, 17% for significant concurrent disease, and 22% for findings atypical of ESBC. Of the studies performed for staging, 15% produced clinically meaningful findings. Overall, 45% of studies were ordered for suspicious findings, complex history, or produced a meaningful result. Conclusions: Of patients with ESBC, 21.8% had at least one advanced imaging procedure within 60 days of diagnosis; almost half were clinically useful. Chart abstraction helped clarify intent. Conversations between clinicians and patients are needed to balance patient preferences and clinician judgment.